I’ve been thinking about what makes a good promoter lately.
First, let’s start with the top three tangible complaints I hear about other promoters:
- Unwanted sexual advances: “He wouldn’t stop touching me even though I just wanted to have fun with my girls” (by far the top complaint in terms of impact/frequency)
- Boring/not sociable/no attempt to connect with the girls at the table: “He ignored us all night”
- Not professional/not delivering on promises: “We’re waiting on our promoter, he’s not here yet” / “He never answered my DM to come get us so we walked in alone”
There are a lot of intangibles as well that might make a girl unconsciously have a bad experience. For example, girls might not outwardly complain about the table constantly being out of mixers, but over time she might get annoyed and leave, or hop to another promoter that runs the table better.
After a lot of brainstorming, I’ve narrowed down the skills required to be a good promoter into five categories:
- organization and business sense
- punctuality (responding to messages quickly, showing up at venues before the girls do, quickly going outside the club to walk girls in)
- table management (ordering new bottles at the right time, flagging down busboys to replenish cups/mixers)
- setting realistic expectations and delivering on promises made
- drive to cold approach girls during the day and in the club to continue building leads
- constant sales and networking to sell tables and bring in new clients
- time spent messaging and inviting girls to come out
Charisma and Care
- being able to build rapport with every type of girl
- making girls feel welcomed and taken care of when they’re at the table (instead of treating them like a dollar sign to meet a nightly quota)
- personal branding (style, Instagram account)
- the energy and vivaciousness to play an entertaining host
- being seen as an interesting and cool guy for girls to spend their night partying with
Gregariousness, Selflessness and Non-Neediness (Game)
- being selective with the types of girls invited to the table, both in terms of attractiveness and personality
- seeing other promoters as cooperative partners, not competition
- NOT BEING PUSHY AND AGGRESSIVE WITH GIRLS AT THE TABLE (most important point on this whole list)
- putting the nightly experience of the girls before one’s own enjoyment
Where do I stack up?
Here are actual quotations of compliments I’ve received both other promoters:
“I love the way you run your table”
“You’re really good at talking to people”
“I fuck with the way you do things man, most promoters are fuckboys”
and from girls:
“You answer my DMs instantly”
“Girls trust you because you make us feel comfortable”
“Wow, you’re the most genuine promoter I’ve ever talked to”
“I love how real and direct you are”
Compared to other New York City promoters, I would rate myself a 10 on Professionalism, an 8 on Hustle, a 10 on Charisma and Care, a 7 on Fun and a 10 on Gregariousness, Selflessness and Non-Neediness.
I have personally met 20-30 promoters so far, and observed 70+ promoters run their tables. Though there are some that outmatch me on individual categories, I have not yet seen someone that brings the complete package like I do.
I am now two and a half months into this adventure, and assuming I stay the course and continue gaining experience, I see nothing in my way to becoming the best promoter in New York City.